Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hands: A Moment Still

It’s not often that I post multiple times in one week, let alone two days in a row, but the sun finally emerged behind layers of gray clouds and I had an opportunity to tackle one of my lighting projects.  I needed to use 90 degree side lighting to bring out texture in a subject and I had it in my head to photograph my mom’s hands, which are beautifully lined and have so much character. I also wanted to challenge myself in using the 18-55 mm zoom instead of my telephoto for this.  I have a tendency to favor the other lens and feel I too readily jump to it when taking creative shots. 

The sun was setting, and our neighborhood was already covered in evening shade, as we’re tucked down in a small cavern surrounded by towering evergreens.  We headed down the road to the Black Diamond Cemetery, mainly because it was on a high, flat hill. The lighting was perfect, we arrived about 30 minutes before sunset.  My mom had never been there and we joked about “killing two birds with one stone”.  Now you know where I get my slightly morbid sense of humor. 

Anyway, I feel great satisfaction in how they turned out, it’s how I envisioned them when I first thought of the project. I hope you enjoy them.

Praying Hands_001January 22, 2011. Nikon D40. 45 mm f/5.6 1/200 ISO 400

Praying Hands_004 January 22, 2011. Nikon D40. 42 mm f/5.6 1/200 ISO 400

Praying Hands_005 January 22, 2011. Nikon D40. 55 mm f/5.6 1/200 ISO 400

Praying Hands_006 January 22, 2011. Nikon D40. 55 mm f/5.6 /200 ISO 400

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lynda these are so beautiful! As a Christian I cherished every shot. As a photographer, your use of shade and light is perfect. The wrinkled hands in prayer after years of service. The Bible with highlights and her finger moving across the line- you've really captured a story here! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete